Saturday, March 26, 2016

COMET 252P/LINEAR IN SCORPIUS Taken by Noeleen Lowndes on March 26, 2016 @ Gold Coast QLD Australia






In the early hours of this morning I knew that Comet 252P/Linear would be near the bright star Shaula, which in the sting of Scorpius. Visually I could not see the comet at all, not even with binoculars, as the Moon was just too bright! I also had quite a lot of high cirrus cloud, so I’m very surprised I was even able to captured it at all…

The images are only very short exposures, but they do show where the comet was in the sky on the 26th March, and you can still make out the lovely bright green colour of its gases.

The marked image is of the full constellation of Scorpius with the planets Mars and Saturn making a nice triangular pattern with Antares. Comet 252P/Linear is also faintly on show in the tail…you can just make out the green colour (If you look very closely)



No comments:

Post a Comment