Saturday, November 25, 2017

NORTHERN TAURIDS, PLEIADES AND CALIFORNIA NEBULA Taken by Adrien Mauduit on November 22, 2017 @ La Palma, Canarias, Spain



On the night of November 22nd 2017, I decided to take a time-lapse of the pleiades and the california nebula to show the color difference of the two completely different objects, the one star cluster reflecting its light onto a passing gas cloud, and the other one a faint emission nebula, well visible with a modified camera. As I scrolled through my shots, two northern Taurid meteors photobombed the frame taken at 135mm. I stacked 50 frames plus the two containing the two meteors into one to reduce noise and increased contrasts. It was very challenging for me because I was not in the comfort of my home, but on vacation on La Palma in the Canary Islands, and on top of the volcano, the wind picked up to 20 m/s! I had to reduce my exposure time to 15 seconds, as the pictures were tracked with the Vixen Polarie. I also used a light pollution filter (Pure night by Lonely Speck), but the gear used remained very simple. I love that we are able to achieve wonders like this with such little equipment these days!

Canon 6D Baader modded, Samyang 135mm f/2, 50 x 15 @ ISO 6400, f/2.8, no calibration frames, Light pollution filter Pure Night 85mm, tracked with Vixen Polarie, stacked with Nebulosity 4, post-process in Lr/Ps

No comments:

Post a Comment