Sunday, February 5, 2017

DR. ZAHI HAWASS 10 QUESTIONS # 4

Fourth question...

Question 4 – Who is your favourite pharaoh and why?

I always say Khufu, because much of my work has been connected with the Great Pyramid – I wrote my doctoral dissertation on Giza, and I found the tombs of the pyramid builders. The time of Khufu always fascinates me. Recently, papyri were discovered at Wadi al-Jarf that many people don't know about. They tell us that under Khufu there was an overseer of workmen called Merer, who went with a group of workmen to Tura and the Red Sea, maybe to bring copper (we know that the builders of the pyramid were divided into gangs, and each gang had a name and an overseer). And the amazing thing is that during the restoration of the second boat pit at Giza, they found copper tools – maybe these are made from the copper that Merer brought from Sinai 4,500 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment